Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Novosibirsk to Omsk

Before departure for Omsk (Late evening in Miami, June 10th)
A short Skype conversation with Brett revealed that John is not feeling well, that he has a cold. Brett, of course, is worried he may catch whatever his Dad has since they shared beverages in the car. Although John admitted to sneezing and having watery eyes, he thought that it may be an allergic reaction to …. something. He is not sure he has a cold.

Since the Novosibirsk to Omsk leg was untimed, there was no need to rush. However, a forgotten shock absorber had to be retrieved at the VW shop and by the time Little Red and team left Novosibirsk, it was 10:45 a.m., their time.

After arrival at Omsk (Early morning in Miami, June 11th)
John reported that the drive to Omsk was long and wet, a straight drive of about 700 kms from point A to point B. Fortunately, it was not a timed drive as they would have lost precious minutes. John was pulled over for speeding! The Russian Police clocked him driving 74 km on a 50 km/hr road. Communication proved difficult as John’s knowledge of Russian equaled the police officer’s English language skills – zero! Having produced the usual documents asked for during a police stop, communication attempts using hand gestures ensued. This went on for a few minutes until someone stopped to help and translate. The Good Samaritan must have been persuasive as the officer waved John away without penalty. Thanks all around, Little Red continued to Omsk.

After reading some P2P updates, I carried on with my chores. The “ding” of a Facebook notification summoned me to the computer. The message below appeared on my screen:

“Good afternoon. Today casually on the city street I saw cars racing. I proceeded behind them and it was struck. This simply fantastic event for Omsk. It is a pity that I didn't know about your rally earlier, I would help you and accompanied. Tomorrow at sunrise I will arrive to photograph cars and pilots while they won't leave from us.
On work I shoot film about the rally championship of Russia to raids. and I will go on rally soon the Silk way and then to Dakar 2014. Tomorrow I can send you photos from Omsk. Many thanks for such event in Omsk. This miracle."

Little Red in Omsk, courtesy of Andrew Kena.  

Can you imagine my reaction when I read the post and then saw the photo above? Only a few minutes earlier, I was looking at photos posted by another team. Two trucks had sideswiped each other, pushing one off the road and on its side. Rain made the roads slippery and very dangerous.  Fingers shaking on the keyboard, I imagined the worst. Here is the exchange of messages between Andrew and myself:

Celia: Andrew  -This is Ceia, family of Little Red Beetle. Are they OK? Do you mean "struck" as in getting hit in an accident? Please respond as soon as possible. Thank you.

Andrew: Today I met them at us in the downtown. everything is good, cheerful happy. tomorrow at sunrise I will go to photograph them. then I will send you a photo.about incidents I unfortunately not in a course. (but in appearance everything is normal

At this point, I started to calm down….

Celia: Thank you. When you said "struck" I thought you meant they were "hit" in an accident. I believe you mean "surprised". Thank you again for making clear. I am looking forward to photos. Celia

Andrew: I am sorry  I only study English. the surprised - you are right

Celia: All is well, thank you. Did you meet Brett? He learned a few Russian words and is happy to practice the language. Keep Calm and Rally On!


Yes, Keep Calm and Rally On.


2 comments:

  1. Wow! As they say in Brazil: "Fortes Emocoes!"
    Hey, they sure jacked up that rear suspension in Novosibirsk - keep those airborne antics to a minimum, please!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great going John and Brett...Little Red still maintaing P4 in class and going strong...Hang in there...M.

    ReplyDelete